How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I order a refrigerator and a cooker from Argos on the

Customer Question

I order a refrigerator and a cooker from Argos on the 18th of November 2014 which normal takes nine working days .I received a call from Argos, and they told me they would arrive at 12 o'clock that I should disconnect all the appliance ,I did exactly as told but they never showed up and I also tried to contact them but couldn't find their number on any of our correspondence. they rang few days after to say they are very busy due to Christmas demand that they will make delivery again on the 13th of December, but unfortunately again they did not show up so I waited few more days maybe I will hear anything from them I was then advised to go to my nearest Argos store to make a complaint, I complained to a member of staff about my situation, and she called the UK store they told her they would deliver on the 14th of January, which they failed to deliver again and this time phone call, no text, and no emails either so I have to go back to the store and make another complaint, luckily i met the same lady who attended to me the first time and she called the UK again and they told her they don't have the items I ordered in stock anymore that is either I take my money back or chose soothing else, so I decided to make another choice but unfortunately I couldn't find anything that meats my demand on line. both my money and the item is still with Argos till date
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.
Alex Watts :

my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation .

Can I clarify anything about this today please?