How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

, I have lent an acquaintance a sum of money over a period

This answer was rated:

, I have lent an acquaintance a sum of money over a period of time which now amounts to around £3500. She has made several arrangements to pay the money back but has avoided actually making it happen every time and I now get the impression she doesn't intend to.
I have no written agreement with her and the money was lent in small amounts over a period of time. She has moved house several times and now I don't have an address although I have mobile phone text messages in which she agrees she owes me the money support and of course I have bank records of the transfers.
Is there any course of legal action open to me?
Many thanks.
Alex Watts :

my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation .

Can I clarify anything about this today please?

JACUSTOMER-l2gr81mu- :

Thank you Alex - I don't have an address , so will need to try to get that

JACUSTOMER-l2gr81mu- :

although I do have email.......

Alex Watts :

Yes you will need an address if you are going to issue County Court proceedings

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish help:

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
You have rated bad service? What else is it you would like to know?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

not sure how that rated as bad service I clicked good service..........

Could you try again? Thanks!
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hopefully that will have addressed the problem!

It did. Thank you.