How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71135
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

In 2007 I was issued with a series of cheques by my brother

This answer was rated:

In 2007 I was issued with a series of cheques by my brother when we stopped working together. The money was outstanding from money paid my me. And as part of an agreement I signed to allow him to sell an asset. One cheque was honoured the next was referred to drawer. When I asked what was happening he stated he had cancelled that and the remainder. Do I have any recourse?
John Barwick
Thank you question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Why was this dishonoured?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I believe they were dishonoured after he got what he wanted.
You could sue under the Bill of Exchanges Act.
This is a cheque that is just plain countermanded there is no defence.
You could also sue under the general law of contract on the basis that he has agreed to make this payment in exchange given by you and then dishonoured the cheque.
It would probably be better to send a letter before action though first. Maybe he will ignore it. Maybe not. But it may work and it is cheaper than going to court.
In principle though, you do have a claim.
Can I clarify anything ?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you.
No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. information, please start your question with ‘ C’. You can also bookmark my profile