How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LondonlawyerJ Your Own Question
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 818
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
LondonlawyerJ is online now

.I would like to explain that I live with my Father in

Customer Question

I would like to explain that I live with my Father in a 2 bedroomed flat which is a council property within Greater London. I came to live in this flat back in May 1981 with my late Mother when I was 13 years old, so I have lived at this address for just over 33 years. My Father came back to live with us, a few years before my Mother died, and they never remarried, but he was able to prove to the council that he had been living with us since 2005, so they gave him the tenancy. I am aware that a tenancy can only succeed once, and I suspect the council were reluctant to give me the tenancy because of the age seniority of my Father. However, I would like to find out what the council will do when my Father eventually passes away, and what my best options are. I thank you for your help. The council are aware that I have resided at this address over the years.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.


This is the usual procedure if they are aware of a tenant passing away.


You r right that there can only be one succession and that has already happened. I expect that when your father passes the local authority will simply seek possession of the property. They will have a right to possession and the usual procedure is to allow a short period tpo ass and then serve a notice to quit on you.