How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Arrived in the country march 2010 and have been out the country

This answer was rated:

Arrived in the country
march 2010 and have been out the country 403 days to date. I have worked whilst here most of the time...I have recently returned from a holiday and prior to commencing work again whilst I m in Cambridge with my daughter, I require advice on my next step? I am on an Ancestral Visa on a S. African passport and my age is 67. Should I be going to see someone in Cambridge regarding applying citizenship?
Thanking you in anticipation,
regards ***** *****
You may apply leave to remain after being here years on your ancestry visa as long as you have not been out of the UK months or more at a time.
Since you are over 64 years of age, you are exempted from the life in the UK and English language tests.
See here requirements and process of applying leave to remain which you can do yourself without speaking to a lawyer
After 12 months of receiving indefinite leave to remain in the UK, you may apply Citizenship assuming that you are not married to a British citizen.
Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** are aware, you have replied to my British citizenship enquiry................Yes, I would like with more questions but only next week when I m in a position to do so.....Thank you in anticipation, Beverley O'Brien

Please leave feedback answer given and feelfree to revert to me with other questions.

All the best
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Do I need to apply Leave to remain and wait 12 months before I can apply British Citizenship?

Are there any questions you would like to ask me?

Many thanks Bev OBrien

a ec,
Yes, you need to wait months after you obtain ILR before you can apply Citizenship, unless you are married to a British Citizen in which case you may apply straight away the moment you obtain ILR.
All the best
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** does. Also wanted to find out where do I

arrange 70 odd page indefinite leave to stay form to be posted to me as its a bit much to print at home?

Wait to hear with thanks

I am afraid I am only aware of the print it yourself option.

Please leave feedback as your queries have been answered.
UKSolicitorJA and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, thanks . I do have a further few questions.

Approximately how long does An ILR take to be granted once its been submitted? Also, once its been granted ,can one come and go as one pleases ie with no time restrictions etc?

Also, I do believe the Shengaan visa to visit Europe will fall away....Is this the case?

Thanks again

You may use the premium service same day result on your ILR application:

Once granted, you may go and come back as you please provided you do not stay out of the UK than 2 years at a time.

Schenghen visas are a separate matter and you would still require these as the UK is not part of the Schenghen area.

All the best
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That s great thanks. Also the info on the Schenghen visa. Many thanks