How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10772
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

My friend has recently committed suicide. He grew up in care

This answer was rated:

My friend has recently committed suicide. He grew up in care and was largely estranged from him mother for most of his life. As his next of kin, she is organising the funeral against his wishes. He wanted to be cremated and scattered in London but she wants him buried in Cumbria.
As his friends do we have any say at all in the matter? One of us was even listed as his next of kin when he was last admitted to hospital. We were a better family to him than his blood family ever were and we want to do what he wanted. Is there anything we can do?
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
Whenever someone dies, if they have made a Will, it is up to their Executor to decide on the funeral arrangements (unless the Will lists his funeral requirements).
If there is no Will, it is then it is up to his legal next of kin (his Mother)to arrange the funeral as she so wishes and to deal with the administration of the Estate.
Unfortunately, therefore, despite your closeness, there is nothing you can do to prevent your friend's Mother acting as she so wishes.
I am sorry this is not the answer you were looking, but it sets out the legal position.
Kind Regards
Aston Lawyer and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you