How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

My husband and I are British citizens who went to live in Canada

This answer was rated:

My husband and I are British citizens who went to live in Canada in 1981. My husband and I divorced and I came back to live in Canada in 2011. Now, my ex husband has died and our son, who has cerebral palsy and schizophrenia and who is in a hospital in London, Ontario, Canada, has no one there to support him. I have obligations here so I don't want to return to Canada, plus I have no work there, so consequently I would like to bring him here to England. I contacted the Citizens advice Bureau and told them my son is entitled to a British passport but they still told me I would be required to pay all of my son's medical bills. I cannot afford to do this as I live on a very small budget. However, he needs my support as he has no family there at all. Is there a way of getting him here and into the medical system?
You should first apply British Passport son.
He is entitled to free NHS case if he intends to reside in the UK long term and not merely purposes.
Everyone ordinarily resident in the UK is entitled to free NHS care. I would suggest that you get your son registered at your UK address e.g. Add him to the council tax account, electoral roll etc. when he comes to the UK as this will help prove that he intends to settle in the UK.
See here information
Hope this helps
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you