How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35075
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My husband and I have been separated since 2007. We had a

This answer was rated:

My husband and I have been separated since 2007.
We had a joint mortgage (taken out in 1992 with a remortgage in 2002), but he didn't pay anything towards it each month; I paid it all. He did not pay any household bills or any part of the children's education, clothing, food etc. In summary, he only used his money drinking and gambling.
In January 2013 my mother died and with my inheritance money I paid off the remaining £95,000 on my mortgage towards the end of 2013.
My question is, if I divorce him, would he be entitled to anything in view of the foregoing?

Thank you question.

I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much is the property worth?
What other assets and income do you each have
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


The house is worth approximately £480,000.

I have a business and a caravan (but I'm trying to sell the caravan).

We have a joint timeshare.

My husband has no other assets, is unemployed and on JSA allowance.


When you separated was there any financial agreement made at all?
If so was it made in writing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No - no arrangement at all. My husband was beyond communicating with through drinking.


I am sorry the news is not good
i am afraid that the simple fact is that your ex does have a financial claim on the former matrimonial home
The starting point is 50/50 BUT the family court has power to depart from that and in your case they will no doubt do so
However realistically he is going to get something - with a 90/10 split in your favour most likely.
Again I am sorry that this is not what you hoped for - but it is important that you understand your legal position
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Clare.

I'll just have to go ahead and see what happens!

All best,


Yes that is the best way - the situation will not improve if you wait!
I hope all goes well
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I know!
Thank you Clare...

I am sorry - I cannot close the question until you rate it - my apologies system which is far from my control!
Clare and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you