How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LondonlawyerJ Your Own Question
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 859
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
LondonlawyerJ is online now

I am a 59 year old man.Early last year my nephew asked me to

Customer Question

I am a 59 year old man.Early last year my nephew asked me to use my address for a delivery address for his mail as he did not have a permanent home.Today i received a letter from ***** ***** Enforcement limited addressed to my nephew which i did not notice until i had opened the letter as he now has a permanent address and i have not received his mail for at least 3 months.The letter claims that he owes Cardiff City Council £422 in respect of parking penalty charge arrears.The letter then threatens "You must therefore now take notice that our ENFORCEMENT AGENTS will be attending with a REMOVAL CONTRACTOR and VAN without further warning for the purpose of taking control of your goods and removing them to the AUCTION ROOMS and the additional costs added to your debt.I have contacted my nephew on his mobile phone and he knows nothing of this debt.Can these people legally take my goods or should i contact the police to stop this action occuring?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.

Hello I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.


OK the bailiffs can only take property belonging to your nephew. They can not take property belonging to you. You should contact them and tell them that your nephew does not live at your address, never has done and (I assume this is true) none of his property is at your address. If you know his address you might tell them and you should certainly let your nephew know about the bailiffs who are pursuing him, so he can contact them and sort it out.