How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

rent arrears matter, my land landlord is Westminster city

This answer was rated:

rent arrears matter,
my land landlord is Westminster city council, due to panding housing benefit decision which is on going for months asking more information giving one and again asking another
which put me on arrears
now landlord taking to court and court notice have been attending date 5th of march 2015
in the meanwhile housing benefit asking for more information and its ongoing
I need your advice in this matter, please advice me what to do
I live in Westminster London
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

For now please let me know when you expect the benefit decision to be made?

Customer: I do not know , but I have court date
Alex Watts :

Ok. Have the Council written to you, saying your benefit claim is being processed and need more information etc?

Customer: It been suspended for few months and asking for more
Alex Watts :

Ok - but you have a letter asking for more information etc?

Customer: Yes ,
Alex Watts :

Ok, you dont need to worry. Let me tell you why

Customer: Ok tall me please
Alex Watts :

You will have to attend Court. Either at the time of Court

Alex Watts :

1) Your benefit will have been sorted out and backdated, so they can forget about the possession proceedings

Alex Watts :

2) If the benefit has not been sorted out, you can ask that the Court adjourn the matter, pending the outcome of benefit

Alex Watts :

If you are entitled to the benefit the Council will backdate it to cover your rent arrears

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: So at this stage I not be out of my home
Alex Watts :

No that is correct

Alex Watts :

The Judge is unlikely to make any order for possession if there is a pending benefit decision

Customer: Thank you , can ask you more when I to or do I have
Alex Watts :

If I can ask you to rate this answer please, but you can ask for me in future: Alex W

Customer: Ok, Alex W so I can ask you more questions when I need to or do I have to pay you again
Alex Watts :

If it is on the same question then no

Customer: Thanks if I need more advice in this same matter later on I will get back to you , bye for today
Alex Watts :

Thank you. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, the button should be at the bottom of the screen

Alex Watts :

If you need more help please click reply

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you