How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I am a white person and I married a white British citizen in

Customer Question

I am a white person and I married a white British citizen in Rhodesia (Zimbabwe) in nineteen eighty one. in nineteen eighty two we moved to South Africa. In 2001 we came to England. For the first two years we worked as window cleaners until my wife became disabled and I stopped working to look after her. On Saturdays when my son or daughter were at home I would go and visit my friend's. On Saturday 8th June 2013 one of my friends phoned me and asked if I could help him clean his conservatories roof. While I was helping him clean the roof the ladder slipped and the ladder and I fell I got my right foot caught in the ladder. I was taken to hospital and I found out my right foot was crushed. I have had six operations on it and I am going for more operations on it. I am now disabled and my son has to look after both of us.
I want to become a British citizen. I have indefinite leave to remain. I have tried to study for the test but because of all the medication I can not remember. I would like to know if I can get citizenship without the test.
Shane Lombard
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
Hello Shane,
What is your date of birth and have you lived in the UK since 2001? When did you get Indefinite leave to remain?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, My date of birth is 19/02/1960. I arrived on the 29/07/2001 and I have never left Britain since I arrived. I got indefinite leave to remain on the 14/04/2003. My South African passport expired on 03/03/2004 and I never renewed it.My National Insurance number is ***** 467645 B.

My wife's United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland passport number is ********* Louise will renew her passport at the end of January 2015.

Thank You.

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
Thank you.
Yes, it is possible to get citizenship without you having to take the life in the UK test as you may apply for an exemption based on the following evidence requirement of your mental or physical condition
If the applicant claims to have a physical or mental condition, they must provide original and current medical evidence from a medical practitioner. This must state the condition, and explain why it is unreasonable to expect the applicant to take the Life in the UK test or learn English.
So, it you are able to get a letter from your GP attesting to your condition and why you are unable to take the life in the UK test and learn English, this should help you get an exemption. The letter should be submitted together with your naturalisation application.
Hope this helps