How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35574
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My partner is going through a divorce and has his last hearing

This answer was rated:

My partner is going through a divorce and has his last hearing in February. We are now living together and her solicitor has asked of my earnings and how much I got sale of my house. Do I have to give it to them

Thank you question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
You cannot be forced to give the details - but it will be better fro your partner if you do give them the basic information.
You do NOT have to give your full P60 or bank statements - just the headline figures
This will ensure that his ex cannot make unfounded claims about his supporting you etc
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have given them a figure earnings which went on my partners financial statement and I gave the in writing how much I got house. They are asking . Do I need to supply proof. Can they take what I got house into consideration when deciding how much my partner should get?

You do not NEED to provide proof - but a heavily redacted P60 will ensure his ex cannot make extravagant claims about your financial position and how much support her ex is giving you.
Your financial position is potentially relevant to the issue of your partner's housing needs - but not to his actual entitlement to the matrimonial assets
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What do you mean by it is relevant to his housing needs

If you have capital then you and he together pooling resources will have a wider range of properties available to you than his ex will have alone.
Accordingly if the court has to decide to give one of then an extra share of the equity it is more likely to be her than him
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So he would be better off being on his own than with me?

Unlikely given his mortgage capacity
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you