How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I took out a secured loan with my business partner who verbally

This answer was rated:

I took out a secured loan with my business partner who verbally agreed to pay half the installments . The loan is in my name have I got any legal standing to get her to pay her half of the payments . She stopped paying 3.5 years ago , I have paid 33k since June 20144
Yes, you do have legal standing to make her pay her share of the loan to you.
You may send her a letter reminding her of the agreement with you and asking her to pay what she owes you failing which you may take legal action against her to recover the money. You may give her say 14 days to pay the money.
If she fails to pay you, you may file court proceedings against her online at if the debt is less than £100K.
If more that £100K, you would need to make a paper based claim on form N1, see here
Hope this helps
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I forgot to mention that she declared herself bankrupt but didn't include this loan on the bankruptcy order, eventhough she verbally agreed to pay the instalments. Can I still file course proceedings against her?


Yes, you may do so.
All the best
UKSolicitorJA and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you so much!

Welcome and good luck.
Please take a second to review my answers.