How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71129
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My 17 year old son has been caught with beer by the police

This answer was rated:

My 17 year old son has been caught with beer by the police who confiscated it and he then gave them another boy's name and a false address. The police have been to this boy's house and asked him to come to the station tomorrow. I think my son should go first thing in the morning and admit what he did. What can we expect? He hasn't been in any trouble at all before
Thank you question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Is this just alcohol?
If so, why shouldn't he have alcohol? He wasn't on licensed premises?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just alcohol. He was carrying a box of beer whilst walking to a friends house. It's the giving of someone else's name and a false address that is concerning me

Yes, that will be the issue.
But why do the police want the person to attend?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I really don't know. He hasn't been in trouble before either and has obviously denied it as it wasn't him.

There is an offence in giving false details to the police called obstructing an officer but I don't think that can be the basis of this.
I presume they don't know he gave false details or he wouldn't have been allowed to walk away.
There is no offence per se in having alcohol at 17.
I would never normally advise anybody to confess to anything but I think he has no option here. The other boy will soon implicate him if he is arrested so they will return to him anyway.
Can I clarify anything ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What do you think they will do?

It depends what the substantive matter is.
Obstructing a police officer just carries a fine.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you