How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12087
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I fear I have been gullible, but have I any hope of getting

Customer Question

I fear I have been gullible, but have I any hope of getting any money, or of cancelling a signed agreement I entered into on Wednesday 21 January 2015? Sadly, I only have photocopies of that agreement, something I have realised only this morning.
The agreement was with a wine broker who signed a form promising that his firm would pay me a sum over £100,000 in exchange wine portfolio. That sum was more than I had paid .
The firm's wine account, like mine, is with Octavian, and the transfer took place yesterday. If the wine has not been transferred from the firm's account with Octavian to another account they have elsewhere is there any way I can ask them to freeze the firm's account?
Is there anything I can do? Or has 'the horse has already bolted'?
Brian Crosby
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
Thank you question.
If you have concluded a contract then the answer is no, unless the contract has a cooling off period. Unfortunately, however, this is not the type of contract that would have a cooling off period so I doubt there is anything you can do about this without specific terms and conditions. If a contract can be cancelled then it isn't really a contract at all.
I fear you may have to put this down to experience.
Happy to discuss further.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited time.