How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have found out that, I paid £45K more same property

Customer Question

I have found out that, I paid £45K more same property as 5 idententical and more favourably situated (larger gardens/ good views etc)properties on this recently built site of 32 houses. I find also that I am ajacent to two ' social housing' properties and no buyers on this site were made aware,either verbally or in writing, that there would be such properties, having only been told there were semi detached 'affordable houses' which were all sold. I bought the last remaining 4 bedroom house model of the 6 that were on this site. I was also put under pressure by letter, to complete my sale and purchase within 6 weeks and that 'to aid this speedy process' I should use the builder's recommended solicitor. Never once did that solicitor point out to me the situation of my house in proximity to the social housing.
I would like to know firstly, have I got any grounds a claim against the price differential and also the lack of transparency and honesty in the builders dealings with me .
Thank you . Meryl Thomas.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.
Alex Watts :

Merly my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

please let me know whether or not you ever asked your Solicitor about the social housing?

Alex Watts :

Did you not look at the property and location to see what it was like before purchase?

JACUSTOMER-pxdcqvzw- : No, I asked about affordable housing and was told there were semi detached houses in this category, all of which had been sold
JACUSTOMER-pxdcqvzw- : yes I visited the site but the houses abutting the side of my property were pointed out as affordable.
Alex Watts :

Who told you they were affordable?

JACUSTOMER-pxdcqvzw- : Both the sales executive on site through whomever I bought the property and the solicitor.
Alex Watts :

What is it you want to achieve?

JACUSTOMER-pxdcqvzw- : Infant to write to the house bui
JACUSTOMER-pxdcqvzw- : I want to write to the house building company and hopefully get some reimbursement based on mis- information and the £45k differential in my purchase price and the position of the social houses - one of which is a real problem!
Alex Watts :

How much do you want to get back?

Alex Watts :

Let me give this some thought

JACUSTOMER-pxdcqvzw- : The cost of the conservatory addition of £22k which would then bring me in line with what the 'show home with many enhanced features and very large conservatory was sold for, which is what I paid anyway.
Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation . More than £10,000 then you will need representation as this will be formal Court claim

Can I clarify anything about this today please?