How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

HiI was born is The United Kindom and am a British citizen.I

This answer was rated:

I was born is The United Kindom and am a British citizen.
I have remarried recently. My wife is South African, Would she be eligable british passport?
I hve leglly adopted my wifes son and he carries my surname would he be eligable british passport?

Thank you question.

I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How long has your wife lived in the UK?
Which country did you adopt your son in?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My wife and I currently live in South Africa.

I adopted my son in South Africa.


***** *****

How old is your son?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My son is a student, he is 23 years old


How old was he when you adopted him?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

he was 17 when I adopted him.



The Uk recognises South African adoptions and accordingly your son is entitled to apply British Passport as your son - and will not need a visa to come to the UK.
Your wife on the other had will need a spouse visa to come to the UK and the Language and financial tests will need to be met
Only after living legally in the UK least five years will your wife be entitled to apply British passport.
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you