How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12176
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My mother left the house on her death in 1999 in a trust fund

This answer was rated:

My mother left the house on her death in 1999 in a trust fund brother to live in and upkeep life time rent free. Then the property was to be sold and shared between the remaining two children only Property worth £280000.00.
The brother that lived in the house died in November leaving a will , and all his proceeds amounting to £127,345.00 to go to various charities and his two nephews & two nieces.
Should the inheritance Tax of the House and his will be put together, or kept separate.?
Should we be liable solicitors cost to date of the life tenant inc VAT
Thank you question.
As the property was I trust it doesn't form part of the brother's estate so the issue of inheritance tax doesn't arise.
The cost of the brother's estate are paid the money he left. The cost of the trust and the house and it's disposal are met from the trust, typically from the sale proceeds of the house.
Happy to discuss further.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited time.
JGM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you