How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I rented a car from thrift at Manchester airport

This answer was rated:

I rented a car from thrift at Manchester airport 23-27 Dec and took out additional waiver with a different insurance company through the same web site as the car hire. All was we'll with the documentation on arrival and signed and picked up my hire car. On returning the car I had a small accident and damaged slightly 2 tyres and wheels. No problem as I had insurance cover an event,
I filled in all the claim forms and submitted only to find out that the insurer won't pay because they state that my country of residence is not on their list of approved companies!
They also state that the people who sold me the policy should not have, despite the fact that I have never had an accident, am a British citizen with over 30 years driving 26 in the UK. I work in Saudi and travel home regularly, which means that all previous policies were also miss sold.
Can you suggest the best way forward if any? The amount claimed was approx £790. I am lucky it was not a serious accident!
Steve Cotter
Please below comment from the insurer
Dear Mr Cotter,
Thank you message dated 16th January 2015.
Unfortunately, we must decline your claim because you do not have a valid excess policy in place with us and refer you to the policy terms and conditions, in their entirety.
Appendix 1 - Country of Residence
Any person living in one of the Countries listed below is eligible to purchase this Policy:
- United Kingdom (including England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Channel Islands and Isle of Man)
- Austria
- Belgium
- Cyprus
- Denmark
- Finland
- France
- Germany
- Ireland
- Italy
- Malta
- Netherlands
- Norway
- Portugal
- Spain
- Sweden
- Switzerland
Unfortunately, our Underwriters are not licenced to sell policies to any country not listed above. We therefore regret that in this instance we were not able to help you.
Kind regards,
Alex Watts :

my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation .

Can I clarify anything about this today please?

Customer: Alex
Customer: who do I make the claim against?
Customer: the company who managed the insurance or the insurance company?
Alex Watts :

Insurance company.

Alex Watts :

You could do it against both just to cause them a headache!

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

Customer: Yes thank you Alex
Ash and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you