How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71146
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Good morning, I have a CCJ past 4/1/15 not attended.

This answer was rated:

Good morning,
I have a CCJ past 4/1/15 not attended.
I just found out about it, this week when I did a Equifax search.
That is an Eon bill house I left a friend of mine use my name 1y8m, that was never paid and obviously sent to court.
This friend never told me about letter on my name and obviously because I never lived at that property, I didn't know he never paid the bills or that I was supposed to go to the court. I spoke to this guy yesterday, and he is going to transfer the full amount either today or tomorrow to my bank account so I can pay this debt. Question is: How can I pay this? Is my name going to be dirty because of this now? i ask because I am going to apply British passport and am afraid now. The debt is £4450 and once the money is transferred to my account, I can pay. Do I need to go to Court?
Thank you question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
You mean that the date of judgment was 15 January 2015?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


The date was 5 january 2015

Can you pay in full?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

as I said, once this guy transfers me the money today or tomorrow, then yes.

If you didn't get the summons then you can apply to have it set aside. That might be acceptable or it might not. Courts can be very inconsistent on the point.
Alternatively, if you pay in full within 28 days of the CCJ then you can apply to be removed from your credit rating as it is not a case of bad money management but a dispute over liability potentially. It is fair to say that does not happen immediately. You have to write to the credit reference agencies and show cause but it is possible.
In terms of how to pay, you should have had 28 days to pay on the CCJ with the details upon how to do so. You just pay the money into the court. If not, call the issuing court and ask upon how to do that.
Can I clarify anything ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you,

Lastly, Am I not in trouble because I did not attend the Court?

I will call them and ask If I can pay by card over the phone, but do you think this is possible or they will have to book other court day so I can pay? I'm really lost, and if they do this, then the 28 days will be over, right?

No, it is a civil matter. People don't attend all the time and the consequence is just that there is judgment in default.
You just pay by card or cheque. I think they have a capacity payments. You don't need a second hearing .
Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you