How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10736
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

if a person wishes to change their will by codicil and leave

This answer was rated:

if a person wishes to change their will by codicil and leave two daughters a 5O% share each of their estate and has this signed and witnessed by a solicitor can i draft the document myself (I am not a beneficiary and the person has asked me to do this ). The existing will left only one daughter a share and a share to a partner. He insists he does not want to make a new will as he does not want the other people to know about his amendment and will this codicial legally stand after his death or can this be contested on his death?

and thanks Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

To make the change legal, so the 2 daughters receive 50% each of the Estate, a codicil has to be drawn up and then executed correctly, (ie it is signed by the person and witnessed by 2 independent people).

A Solicitor does not have to prepare the codicil, so if you are confident that you can draw up a suitable codicil, these chages will become legal on the person's death, provided the codicil is then signed and witnessed as detailed above.

None of the executor(s) or beneficiaries named in the Will need to be notified of the codicil.

I hope this assists and answers your question.

If you require any further clarification, please let me know.

Kind Regards


Aston Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you