How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Do schools in the UK have a legal requirement to ensure pupils

This answer was rated:

Do schools in the UK have a legal requirement to ensure pupils remain on their property and do not break into neighbouring gardens in pursuit of lost footballs etc.?
Thank you question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Pupils from the neighbouring school (its tennis courts, MUGA and other outdoor areas back onto residential gardens) are breaking through hedges/fencing on my (and my neighbours') property in order to come into the garden and retrieve balls that have been kicked over either hedging or fencing ( both circa 1 storey high).

Does the school have any legal responsibility to stop this happening, i.e. by erecting secure fencing or otherwise blocking access on their side?

We have tried bulking out the hedge sections on our side with more/thorny plants, adding thick wattle hurdles to 'thin' sections of hedge in the interim. Complaints have been made to the police, who have 'spoken' to the school. Complaints to the school have been met with stock 'we've reprimanded the offender and informed their parents, we tell our pupils not to do it' replies.

my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
I assume this is a state school?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes it is

Whilst I do not think the school has a legal requirement (its the same as if you had a cat, you are not responsible going onto others land) there are steps you can take:
1) Write to the school and register a formal complaint
2) Write to the Council. If they fund the school they have responsibility . You can register a formal complaint with the Council and they will investigate your complaint and set out what action they propose to take.
3) If you are not satisfied with the response from the Council then you can go to the Ombudsman. They offer a free, independent service and can examine your complaint. Their website is:
This should resolve your complaint.
Can I clarify anything about this today please?
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you