How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

My car has been damaged as a result of a freestanding advertising

This answer was rated:

My car has been damaged as a result of a freestanding advertising board which had been placed on the pavement by the Public House establishment. High winds blew the sign into the side of my car causing damage to the bodywork. I have two witnesses and the manager of the establishment witnessed the damage to my car and retrieved the sign from the middle of the road. The owners of the P.H. are refusing responsibility on the grounds that it was a freak occurrance.
Alex Watts : my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : please let me know how much the damage is?

Quote from ***** ***** Honda dealer Ilkley £537.50 + Vat Total £645.00

Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation .

Can I clarify anything about this today please?


Thanks Alex. The advice that you have given is most helpful.


Am i right in thinking that it is a criminal offence not to have such an advertising board un-tethered. Regards Ian


As above.

Alex Watts : No it's not criminal. It's a civil dispute.
Alex Watts : does that help?

Thanks Alex. I shall give you a smiley face rating. Regards - Ian

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you