How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK_Lawyer Your Own Question
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2458
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
Type Your Law Question Here...
UK_Lawyer is online now

HowardI am trying to help a Syrian friend study in the

This answer was rated:

I am trying to help a Syrian friend study in the UK. He is a refugee in Iraq and has no passport. I understand its possible to get a visa and have travel documents issued. I was told to get legal advice but 4 immigration solicitors have refused to handle an application without a passport.
Is the visa worth pursuing without legal support? I was told it would be refused because if he gains UK entry he is entitled to claim refugee status. It is fairly certain he would get this. I can see that immigration specialists may not want to risk their licence but the immigration law does currently give him the right to enter the UK to study under given conditions.
, thank you question, I will be happy to help you today.
Could you please state what you wanted to know?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is the visa worth pursuing without legal support?

I could do this but the complexity of it would be better dealt with by an expert.

I have since spoken with a further immigration form that say there is a 70 per cent chance of success and they could try . The fees are a lot of money to lose if they are unsuccessful.

Thank you reply.
Unfortunately I believe that it will be difficult to obtain a visa to the uk because the home office want to know the nationality of the person applying visa. Furthermore how will he be able to travel to the UK if he does not have a passport? The home office do issue travel documents to applicants but that is usually to applicants who applied status from inside the UK. The home office will not issue a travel document to applicants from outside the uk.
I would recommend if you want to go ahead regardless then you should apply on your own. If your solicitor is giving you a no win no fee arrangement then take that, as he believes there is a 70 percent chance he should give you this option. Otherwise, just submit it on your own, if it's refused you can then get a solicitor involved and reapply again.
I hope this answers your question if however you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question please do not hesitate to ask further questions until you are satisfied with my answer.
Kind regards
UK_Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you