How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71140
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have a court claim against my builder. We have a contract

This answer was rated:

I have a court claim against my builder. We have a contract in place to complete renovation of my house . I paid him full amount before he finished the work. He left the job when I paid the last payment.
I put a claim at court and the court hearing is on 25 Feb. Do I have to hire a lawyer?
Jo C. :

. Thank you question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.

How much are you claiming please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


You can do this yourself. It is best to hire a solicitor to do it . Apart from anything else you can claim costs sum of money so you may as well. Generally speaking though, they are an advantage. They protect you from costs and procedural failures.
But you do not have to. If you want to self represent you are free to do so.
Can I clarify anything ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much reply, I can't understand what do you mean by claim costs sum?

the project started in March 2014. He stopped in August till October.

Then I hired his ex builders who didn't get paid and left him to have a contract with me to finish the project. I started the project again last month and still need a month or more to finish.

Please read his statement below to the court. He is lying about everything.

"Mrs Naimi instructed me to carry out building works at***** London. Part way through the project she decided to extend the property and make additional changes to the original contract. Six weeks before completion she informed me that she had lost her job and run out of money. She asked if we could complete the project and she would pay in April 2015. I informed her that we are only a small building company and not in a position to carry out works on credit. Mrs Naimi was very offended and accused me of not trusting her. The works had to stop and Mrs Naimi issued court proceedings.

On around 20 October 2014 Mrs Naimi and her boyfriend Mr Lemen asked to meet at the property. After the meeting and discussions Mrs Naimi asked if we could finish off the project cost of £30,000 and she would pay this at £5,000 a week weeks. Although this would not cover the cost of works that had been carried out, I agreed as it was an amicable solution to the problem. She told me that she would be withdrawing her county court claim for £61,000. That is the reason my response to the claim was delayed. I also have a signed letter from Mrs Naomi which I have attached."

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The project should have finished in May 2014. then he extended to August.. then he left without telling us any reason.

I was calling him weeks and he never replied to my calls.

He called me when he got the court notice and he said he asked the secretary to throw it in the bin.

All the builders who worked with him in my house left him half way.

I called two of them to rescue me from the mess he has created.

They told me they have never been paid by him.

They are working at my house now.


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Im just looking lawyer now, my search has come up with building and constructional lawyers and contractual lawyers, which would you advice me to use and why?

You just need any high street solicitor. This is not a complicated case. It is a simple dispute over contract.
I wouldn't pay specialism of construction lawyers.