How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My sister who is a pcso, who i don't speak to, told my ex husband

Customer Question

My sister who is a pcso, who i don't speak to, told my ex husband that my son should be removed from my care & he should live with his father, she also said that i'm mental & had made my son this way too. My son is 15 & has been very ill with depression & recently tried to commit suicide, all as a result of the disgusting way my family have treated him & I. I work as a teacher & know that if she continues to come out with such terrible remarks & they are heard by the wrong ears it could affect my job, especially if she is suggesting I'm not sane enough to look after my own son, never mind other peoples.
Could I report this to her Sargeant?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.

Thank you question.

I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Who has she actually said these things to other than your ex?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She told me I was mental & had made my son like this. But because we are estranged from my family - due to their awful treatment of me & my son & because they are the main reason my son tried to take his life, I've had to keep away from them. She will have said this to other members of the family, but I won't know that because of us keeping away from them, so I can't say.

She very vindictive & I'm worried if she continues to say these awful things, they could affect my job.

Does this count as slander??

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.

If you can prove that sheiis telling thi so people and it makes them think less of you because of it then yes it would be slander.
However since you believe she is saying this to other family members who already think badly of you then it is unlikely that you could claim that it is slander in these circumstances.
In any event reporting it to her Sargeant would not be an appropriate.
This is not a work matter and she is not say this in her role as a PCSO - but as your sister
If that changes and yo u have evidence that she has used her position to cast doubt on your suitability to be with children THEN that would be an abuse of power that should indeed be reported.
Please ask if you need further details