How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35049
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

, Im a self employed builder and want to review the child

This answer was rated:

Im a self employed builder and want to review the child maintenance that I have to pay.
I have 2 children by 2 different mothers.
1 doesn't stay with me at all, the other stays on average 2 nights a wk plus some time in the holidays.
I'm really confused over what figures from my end of year accounts I should be using.My main questions is, is child maintenance calculated on Gross turnover (including all materials I have used, which is £39,000) or Gross income after reductions of materials (£26,600) or net income which is taxable profit after reduction of other business expenditure (£18,041).
Am I right in thinking that the new percentage children is 16 per cent and then split it accordingly with regards ***** ***** child staying with me and the other not?
Thank you. Mr M Beard.

Thank you question.

I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Have the CMs (CSA) been involved at all up until now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


No they haven't, when i split from my wife it was agreed that i would pay a figure that was just over what the csa website recommended. Subsequently having split from a further partner who i had my second child with. I have now started a relationship and want things sorted out fairly so we all know where we stand.

thank you.

What are the other business expenses that you have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Business expenses;

Motor & Travelling


Replacement of tools


Protective clothing

Bank charges & interest

Laundry & cleaning

Use of home as office

Sundry Expenses

Postage, printing & stationary


The assessment will be on your Gross income less materials - and the amount as 16% divided between the two mothers.
One will get 8% - the other will get 8% less two sevenths.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you