How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71159
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I am private Landlord. I have an assured short hold tenancy

This answer was rated:

I am private Landlord. I have an assured short hold tenancy with a tenant, that ends this month feb28th 2015.
I gave the tenant his notice back in sept 2014 requiring the property back and building work etc. So he had effectively 6 months notice.
The tenant missed november 2014 payment, complaining of unpaid cheque and financial issues.
I told him he would have to pay this as soon as he could.
He never paid just continued with december and january payments but now, has not paid the last month of the tenancy, (this month feb).
The tenant has lived there years approx and has never missed a payment before.
My feeling is that he will move on, leaving no address and me minus 2 months rent.
Apart from asking forwarding address to chase him up once he moves, what action can i take to get him to pay the rent?
Do i need any other information from him to help me legally at this time?
Another concern I have is that I did not put his deposit into a dps,
although i have the money in an account and gladly will return it upon correct condition the property is returned to me.
Can this in any way inhibit me chasing him legally rent money owed?
What action do i take now?
Thank you question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Has he claimed against you to protect his deposit?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Jo C.

No he hasn't.

Is he still living in the property?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


I would forget about the rent. You have other problems I'm afraid.
Are you still within the AST term?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Do this tomorrow. Whatever your plans, cancel them.
Secure the deposit. You are late and he does have a claim against you but at least then you can serve a proper S21 notice.
Unfortunately your notice is invalid because you haven't secured the deposit. If you secure the deposit late you can serve a S21 notice period afresh. It will start the notice period again and that is unfortunate but it is a lot better than having him there rent free forever.
He will still have a claim against you securing the deposit to three times the sum of the deposit. If you secure the deposit you will be better placed to resist it. There will be an award in his favour but probably not three times the rent.
If you are owed missing rent of more than three months then that is probably worth claiming. If not, I would not pursue this. It is just inviting a counter claim from him. If he does sue you then you could counter claim. It might be the bargaining chip that you need.
Sorry but I can only give you truthful information
Can I clarify anything ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


can't i still evict him without a section 21?

You need a S21 notice that is valid to bring to an end either an AST or a periodic.
I realise this is bad news but at least you can still put it right.
If you were outside of the AST then it would be too late.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

can i not claim possession under a section 8?

or does that not apply?

he started living there 7-8 years ago.

I intend to live in the property after.

It was my main home and I want to reclaim it

You can but you still need to serve a S8 notice and you can't do that without protecting the deposit.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much! x


No problem and all the best.
Please remember to rate my answer.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. information, please start your question with ‘’.