How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71159
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

is it against the law to upload a sex video to the internet

This answer was rated:

is it against the law to upload a sex video to the internet without the participants consent
Thank you question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I recently witnessed an amateur video on the internet and my late wife was one of two people taken part, I know she would never have given consent to be uploaded is whoever uploaded it breaking the law

Possibly but the problem here is that you would have to prove that she did not consent. I do realise that you may well believe that she would not and you may well be right but that is not evidence I'm afraid.
Since she is sadly deceased she cannot give evidence that she did not consent and therefore it would be impossible to prove.
However, there are offences in uploading footage without consent. The public order act covers that type of thing and there is an indication from Parliament that they will extend the sexual offences act in that direction although they haven't done it yet.
You might be able to get the footage removed by complaining about it to the web hoster.
Sorry but I can only give you truthful information.
Can I clarify anything ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


thanks answer, do you think it would be worth me going to the police and reporting this ?

To be wholly honest, I wouldn't bother. Sadly they will just say they cannot act because there is no evidence that she didn't consent.
It might be worth getting a solicitor to write to the web hoster if they refuse to remove it.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you