How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My girlfriend is having trouble with her children's father,

Customer Question

My girlfriend is having trouble with her children's father, he was having them Wednesday and friday sleeping over but just decided not to pick them up on a Wednesday and say he doesn't want them again on Wednesdays so we had a solicitor write up a proposed agreement but he is refusing to have them on the agreed terms. It was either agree to having them on both days or not to have them at all but with him saying no to the terms he now persists on texting, ringing and turning up outside the house, I'm unable to approach him in this situation due to him wanting a reaction to use against us. We're unsure on what we can do now. Whether we can get an injunction against him or would it be a waste of time.
Regards Chris
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.

Thank you question.

I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old are the children and what contact is their father now having?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They have a girl who is 10 and the lad is 6. at this moment he isn't seeing his children at all but trying to twist it around blamimg us that he can't see them when he was the 1 who chose not to have them

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.

I am concerned that the solicitor that your girlfriend saw did not make it plain that she could not say it was both visits or none.
If he only wishes to have them overnight every Friday then if he does make an application to the court that is what will be granted
Having said that he is not entitled to harass her in this way and the behaviour should be reported to the police
Your girlfriend should also offer to discus the children with her ex using Family mediation
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He himself would not apply to the courts if it would end up costing him money, and family mediation was advised by the solicitor before it could go to court but knowing he wouldn't agree to this and try and twist the situation in his favour with lies and mind games.

They were also married couple month before he was found out with someone else, so there is a lot of hatred between them both.

The girlfriend is going to phone her solicitor today but with appointments costing £150 it can become very expensive very quickly if there isn't going to be a resolution to the situation


Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.

The Court fee is £215 so it does depend on how much he wants the contact.
Your girlfriend needs to try mediation - better to spend the money there than on a solicitor at this stage
If her ex wont agree then that is ok - but she must make the appointment so that she is seen to have everything correctly