How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK_Lawyer Your Own Question
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2458
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
Type Your Law Question Here...
UK_Lawyer is online now

wondering if you can help I want to marry someone from

This answer was rated:

wondering if you can help
I want to marry someone from outside the EU, but we initially want to live in her country and return to England after a year or so. I know that I would have to be earning over £18500 to be able to return with her. But my question is if I leave savings of around £20,000 in the bank here ready for our return would that mean we could enter together without me having to be employed.
many thanks
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Hi, thank you for your question, I will be happy to help you today
No unfortunately not, you would need to have savings of at least £62,500.00 to be able to meet the financial requirement for her to enter in the UK as your spouse.
However, provided you have employment in the country you are living in with your partner earning more than £18,600.00 gross and then prior to arriving to the UK you can show evidence of you being accepted in employment with a company in the UK earning £18,600.00 gross then this would be sufficient for you to meet the financial requirement.
I hope this answers your question if however you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question please do not hesitate to ask further questions until you are satisfied with my answer.
Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks for your reply.

i understand see has to prove she has been earning £18,600 gross in her country and I have to have a job set up here before we return

3 more more questions if i may

1) would they take into account any equity from a property i own (inexcess of £160,000) or the rental income from the property approx £500 a month. if so would this class as my £62,500

2) If i decide not to live out of the uk with her and continue to earn in excess of £18600 gross can i Just Keep visiting her, get married to her in her country , apply for a spouse visa and bring her over .

or does she still need to earning £18,600 in her own countrie

3) i am a company director of a small limited company. If i was to stay on the payroll earning the stated £18,600, but lived outside the UK with her for a duration

could we both then get married and return without the need to prove anything else .

many thanks


Thank you for your reply.
Just to clarify, it is you who needs to be earning the 18,600 in her home country, because the spouse visa is based on your earning not hers.
1. No, the monies would need to be in cash in the bank account.
2. Yes of course, there is nothing preventing from you doing that. It is you that would need to show earning of 18,600 where ever you decide to live NOT your partner. So if you moved to for example australia you would need to earn the required amount there and then also have a job paying you 18600 in the UK upon your return to the UK. It is you that needs to show earnings not her.
3. No, unfortunately not, because you would have not been residing in the UK at the time of application, plus the earnings would have been made by you whilst you were outside of the UK. You need to actually be residing in the UK and earning the required amount.
I hope this clarifies the matter.
Kind regards
I hope this answers your question, if so please provide a rating so I can get credited for my time.
Kind regards
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2458
Experience: I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
UK_Lawyer and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you