How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50150
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

, I worked lady massaging her son (he is disabled)

Customer Question

Hello, I worked for a lady massaging her son (he is disabled) on her request and her approach to me. She promised me £35 a session and that I could do at least 3 sessions a week or more. I took it on, as a self employed and in debt, this came at a good time. Into the sessions, a lot of remarks were made from her to me which were not only personal and insulting, but hurtful, none the less I carried on as per agreement and put it down to stress on her behalf. At no time was the question of work a problem as I was following the physio and her working, so worked the areas the young man had worked hard. I am a qualified teacher, therapist and run my own business for approx 10 years, with no complaints.
I went in one day as per agreement and the lady was absolutely rude, insulting and questioned my work? when I explained I had a log of all what I had done, she became abusive and stated that she only saw me doing a bit of this and that?!! upset I said her complaining at me all the time was not professional as I know my own work. It ended with a few words being said and that I was not happy with the way she was treating me, nor was I happy that she kept on at me throughout each session, not knowing my work.
I felt I had no choice but to leave as the young man was also in the house and I felt it would be better to leave rather than get into anything worse e.g. rowing.
She has not paid what she owes me, despite me giving her chance to speak on the phone as to when I should invoice her? she said she was busy and we needed to talk?? no contact has been made and I am very upset at the whole situation, she owes me £280. I invoiced her today (4 Feb 2015) and asked that it be paid within 7 days (I registered it so she has to sign)
Please could I have some advice
Yours, Cheryl
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 3 years ago.
Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Whenever a dispute arises over money owed by one party to another, the debtor can be pursued through the civil courts for recovery of the debt. As legal action should always be seen as a last resort, there are certain actions that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve the courts. It is recommended that the process follows these steps (I appreciate you may have already followed some but I will still explain the full procedure so you are aware of your position)

  1. Reminder letter – if no reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the debtor to voluntarily pay what is due.

  2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but these have been ignored, the debtor must be sent a formal letter asking them to repay the debt, or at least make arrangements for its repayment, within a specified period of time. A reasonable period to demand a response by would be 10 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to recover the debt. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action.

  3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to Once the claim form is completed it will be sent to the debtor and they will have a limited time to defend it. If they are aware legal proceedings have commenced it could also prompt them to reconsider their position and perhaps force them to contact you to try and resolve this.

Whatever correspondence is sent, it is always advisable to keep copies and use recorded delivery so that there is proof of delivery and a paper trail. The court may need to refer to these if it gets that far.

Ben Jones :

Hope this clarifies your position? If you could please let me know that would be great, thank you

Ben Jones :

Hello, I see you have accessed and read my answer to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? I just need to know whether to close the question or not? Thanks