How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I was involved in a false allegation made against me by my

Customer Question

I was involved in a false allegation made against me by my then partner. Needless to say this was very stressful and unbelievable. I was arrested crime I did not commit but pled not guilty and was found not guilty.
As much as distressing it still is after 3.5 years, I do suffer PTSD and clinical depression as a result of this.
I am wondering if it is possible to claim compensation against the police due to their dealings with me (how they dealt with me in the whole process) and any other relevant bodies involved.
I find my day to day life is not of good quality due to PTSD and clinical depression. It really does put my life on hold and it is difficult day to day duties as well as my job. it has a big negative impact and I have been suffering long time, still trying to get my head around all of this - the events of a false allegation against me.
Thank you.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.
Alex Watts :

my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

Were the Police acting on the complaint?

Alex Watts :

Ie I assume the Police didnt make anything up, they were just relying on what your ex said?

Alex Watts :

To confirm it was 3 and a half years ago?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes the police were acting on the complaint but only relying on what the ex had said.
yes, it was around 3.5 years ago.
there were allegedly 4 other witnesses but this was also a lie and my barrister in court had proven that they were lying on their own accord.
Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.
Ok, so the case was thrown out based on the evidence rather than what the Police did?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, the case was not thrown out. I elected crown court trial to prove my innocence and was found not guilty charges laid on me. These were petty reports.
I was also then accused of breaching my bail conditions and was left overnight in the cell, complete with shock and no care about my wellbeing at the time.
I was released the following day after my barrister provided evidence that I did not breach my bail at the magistrates.
Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. Its bad news I am afraid. If the Police were acting on the information provided by your ex then they were acting properly in bringing a prosecution.
The good thing about the UK justice system is that people are found guilty or not guilty. People are acquitted all the time in Court but that in itself does not mean that you can bring a claim . It is only generally where the Police have acted improper such as fabricating or withholding evidence can anything be done.
In any event you would have 3 years to bring a claim against the Police in negligence. Given this happened over 3 years ago and you have suffered with this I am sorry to say you would be out of time. You could try and bring a claim but Limitation period being 3 years you have an immense hurdle to overcome. If you had been in a coma or something you may have an argument .
I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Can I clarify anything about this today please?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you.
unfortunately it seems that they get their not understand what they do to an innocent person (both police and false allegations) and get away with it.
So really, I have to live with the consequence? doesn't seem humanly right...
I appreciate your time. Thank you.
Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.
I agree. I am very sorry its not better news.
Can I clarify anything else ?