How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71159
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have been served a notice of intended prosecution

This answer was rated:

I have been served a notice of intended prosecution for speeding 67mph in a 30mph zone. However, I was not driving the car. My mum was driving but unfortunately she does not have a driving licence nor is she insured on the car. What will happen to her?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Did she have your permission to drive uninsured?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Thanks for your reply. No I did not give her permission.

Did you report the car stolen?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I didn't. I live with my parents but i did not know she was taking the car.

In relation to her, this is 67 mph in a 30 mph zone. I'm afraid that is 7 mph over the highest sentencing bracket. It is possible they could charge her with dangerous driving in particular because this was a 30 mph zone. If so that does rack up the risks I'm afraid.
If it remains a speeding then it will be a fine and probably a ban of several months.
The no licence would just lead to 3 points or a ban. The no insurance would lead to 6 points or a ban. There will also be a fine and costs of £85.
They could charge you with permitting no insurance. It depends whether they accept that you didn't know she had it. The argument may be that she must have had your keys. In fairness, they are not really doing that all that much any more. If it does happen then it carries 6 points and a fine.
Sorry if that is bad news.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you