How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Max Lowry Your Own Question
Max Lowry
Max Lowry, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1457
Experience:  LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Max Lowry is online now

If I buy a house with a man who was discharged from bankruptcy

This answer was rated:

If I buy a house with a man who was discharged from bankruptcy in June 2007 can the trustees make a claim on the house?
, welcome to the site. My name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question. In short, the answer is no, the trustee does not have any claim on a property subsequently purchased after discharge.
Once he is discharged the trustee will have no claim on any asset he subsequently purchases. There could be a claim however on assets he owned/had an interest in pre bankruptcy or possibly assets in his possession that may have come into his possession during the bankruptcy but before discharge.
If you are worried however that he may go bankrupt again you could seek to draw up a deed of trust which specifies your respective shares in the property.
I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can clarify anything.
Max Lowry and other Law Specialists are ready to help you