How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71159
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I am a joint tenant of a property. Is there any way that this

This answer was rated:

I am a joint tenant of a property. Is there any way that this can be amended so as my will comes into effect?


Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.

You serve a notice of Severance of Joint Tenancy on your coowner. They cannot refuse it and they cannot object to it. It is simply a letter addressed to them regarding the property which states that

Mr , Re Property XZA

I hereby give you notice that I sever the joint tenancy of the above property


it is as simple as that.

You then record that at the land registry by sending in land registry form SEV. There is no fee.

The land registry deeds will then be amended to enter a Tenants in Common restriction on them, which starts “no disposition by a sole proprietor is to be registered…………” Which may seem rather odd wording but that is what it’s all about.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am quite certain that it is a joint tenancy but not absolutely, Will the land registry know this or do I contact the original solicitors who managed the mortgage to find out

You can check on the land registry deeds yourself. If a restriction starting

“no disposition by a sole proprietor is to be registered….”

Then it is already tenants in common there is nothing to do. There is no restriction, it is still joint tenants. If it is joint tenants then it doesn’t matter what your Wills says, on death, the property passes to the survivor. If it is tenants in common, the deceased person’s share of property is dealt with as part of their estate in accordance with the terms of their will.

The solicitor that dealt with the original purchase or registration should be able to help you although it may have changed since it was registered.

The deeds are available from the land registry website the payment of 3 pounds and you can download them from the website here!ut/p/b1/04_SjzS0tDQwMTIxMjLXj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOKNjSxMDA1NjDwsjM3MDTxN3dyNDUNMjQ1MjPWDU_P0c6McFQH3SLFU/

Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you