How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10772
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

I have a 25%share in a house I currently live in with my partner.

This answer was rated:

I have a 25%share in a house I currently live in with my partner. I put into this property £25000 for this share. Now our relationdhip is floundering and my partner is saying that all I will get back is what I put in. Is this right? We did everything legally and I am on the land registry etc and the documentation clearly states my share. How do I stand in getting my share? Thank you.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Could you please just confirm that you hold the property as Tenants in common and that it is documented that you hold a 25% share? Did you both sign a separateTrust Deed setting out your respective shares?

I look forward to hearing from you.


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

For Aston Lawyer. We hold the the property as tennants in kind. We signed the papers at the same time together. Hope this helps answer my question. Thank you. Kim

Hi Kim,
Provided you signed as Tenants in common, you are permitted to your 25%, as opposed to £25,000 full stop!
Indeed, if it ever went to Court, the judge would merely look at how you both agreed to hold the property at the time of your purchase, and confirm you are entitled to 25%.
Sorry for the short answer, but this area of law is very clear.
I hope this assists.
Kind Regards
Aston Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you