How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10776
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

I'm trying to sell my flat and do a lease extension at the

This answer was rated:

I'm trying to sell my flat and do a lease extension at the same time. I have a dispute with the freeholders who are refusing to do the lease extension until I pay a disputed bill. This is holding the sale up. Is it possible to pay the bill, but indicate that it's being under 'duress', sell my flat and then contest the bill afterwards? Thanks, James
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
What is the disputed bill concerning?
Kind Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The dispute is over water damage to a shop below the patio of my flat. The bill is 2 years old and a previous solicitor at the time told me not to pay the bill

Hi James,
Thanks for your reply.
The practical problem you face is actually getting your money back, if you pay this Bill, and it turns out you are not liable for it.
You can make a "without prejudice" payment (which basically means you make the payment but you don't agree it is payable), but you have to bear in mind that although legally you are entitled to it back if it is found you are not liable, you would have to go through the stress of Court to recoup it if the the Freeholder did not willingly reimburse you.
It is one of those situations where practicalities come before the law- it comes down to whether the potential loss of you paying this bill outweighs you potentially losing a Sale.
I hope this assists.
Kind Regards
Aston Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you