How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71147
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

we are taking our builder to court. The first hearing is now

This answer was rated:

we are taking our builder to court. The first hearing is now planned. The original contract was with my girlfriend/partner.
Can I represent her in court - or can she only represent herself or be represented by a lawyer?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Only a person with rights of audience can represent her.
If this is the small claims court though then you could probably be a McKenzie friend but all they really do is guide and offer advice.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the claim is for 60k -

what is she legally assigns the claim and any rights from it to me?

She could offer a deed of assignment but it is always dangerous.
For that sum of money, it is dangerous not to use a solicitor I'm afraid.