How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71136
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

We have a designated disable bay and my wife is registered

This answer was rated:

We have a designated disable bay and my wife is registered disabled with a blue badge. Recently our new neighbor has been parking in the bay, who is not disabled. This has resulted in my wife parking away from our house and struggles to walk back. Is there anything we can do.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
So this bay is solely for disabled use?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, we applied to the council and the application was granted.

He is obviously in breach then. However, only the council can ticket him. A parking ticket issued by the local council only has force because they are issued by the local council and they are an emanation of the state and have power to fine. Individuals do not.
You can report this to the council. The wardens should be patrolling at least periodically. I suppose if you can gather some form of evidence of this like photographs or footage then they may ticket by post. As a rule I have found they will not. They do not generally rely on private evidence but if you don't gather it then nothing can happen.
Another option is to complain to your local councillor not about the parking but about the council's refusal to act.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What are they in breach of and should I go and talk to them again and explain that they are in breach.

It depends on the road signs in the area.
But this is just a simple matter of parking a non disabled vehicle in a disabled bay.
I really wouldn't suggest talking to them about it.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you