How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I fitted some lights in a communal block of flats over a year

Customer Question

I fitted some lights in a communal block of flats over a year ago and I fitted different ones to what I stated on quote and now the landlord of the flats wants me to change lights free of charge, does he have a case against me
Thanks Lea
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.
Alex Watts : Hello Lea my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : Are the ones you fitted more expensive or cheaper than one ones you quoted please?
JACUSTOMER-aggbw5fi- : Hi Alex the ones I fitted are cheaper but he never checked and only got in touch a couple of weeks ago after I fitted them in November 2013
Alex Watts : Thanks. Technically you are in breach of contract.
Alex Watts : He has 6 years to pursue a claim against you under the Limitation Act 1980
Alex Watts : If they are not faulty then in theory he has 6 years to ask you to come out and replace them.
Alex Watts : The difficulty you have is that you quoted and contacted to supply certain lights. If you did not fit those ones you in breach and he could make you go back and fit the correct ones.
Alex Watts : The alternative is to refund the difference in costs of the ones quoted and the ones fitted.
Alex Watts : I am sorry if this is not the answer you are after and certainly not the one I want to give you but I have a duty to be honest
Alex Watts : Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?
JACUSTOMER-aggbw5fi- : Ok that's fine I have agreed to pay the difference but I said I would pay him £50 per month for 5 months but he will not accept it and wants me to pay bigger amounts over 3 months and wants me to sign a payment plan but I don't work for him and he is talking about taking it further if I am late on my payments
Alex Watts : Ok well you can simple refuse.
Alex Watts : He has two choices either to accept or take you to court.
Alex Watts : That process would take around 6 months
Alex Watts : even then you can ask the court to pay by instalments
Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: