How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71140
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I brought a vehicle from a dealership in October 2014.

This answer was rated:

I brought a vehicle from a dealership in October 2014. I took my car into a main dealer yesterday for a service and they have flagged up and shown me evidence that the mileage that was declared on the car when I brought it was inaccurate and appears to have been reduced. I have contacted trading standards who have advised me to write to the dealer including all the evidence I have and inform them that I want a full refund for the vehicle including the costs of works recently carried out on the vehicle. They advised to give the dealer 7 days to repsond to my request.
My question for you is should I write to the dealer as instructed by trading standards or am I better to contact a solicitor? I it too early to involve a solicitor at this stage or am I likely to have better success?
Thank you
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
It is generally better to get a solicitor to write letters before action. They carry much more weight. However, there is a cost in that and the question is whether you want to incur the cost. It is a matter of balancing cost against gain.
Obviously some claims are so small that it is cheaper to issue than to get a solicitor to send letters. This is probably at the higher end of actions so it might be worthwhile.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you