How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

My Dad is ill, I have seen his will which leaves the estate

This answer was rated:

My Dad is ill, I have seen his will which leaves the estate and property equally between his four grown up children and his fostered son. He is a widower.
My younger sister wants to move in to care for him, giving up her rented house. Yesterday she stated that she was intending to ask my dad to leave her the house, as she would be homeless when he died.
I asked her to reconsider giving up her rented house, as this could be lived in by her daughter who is currently looking for somewhere to live.
My sister who is an alcoholic has a history of leaving properties, jobs, and partners behind and moves frequently after running up problems and arrears.
My dad often bails her out, and we have found out that he has spent his savings and each monthly pension up to the hilt, my brother suspects as do I that he is giving his money to her to help out.
What can we do if anything?
I am afraid legally you cannot do anything of your father is compos mentis I.e. Of sound mind and knows what he is doing. You could of course try and speak to your father.
His assets are his to give away as he pleases and any arrangement he makes with your sister remains intact I am afraid. If he is compos mentis, he is free to change his Will as he likes and if you are not happy with any of this, you may only make a legal challenge after he passes away under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants ) Act, provided you are dependent on your father and he has not adequately provided for you in his Will.
May I help further?
UKSolicitorJA and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you