How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I lent a friend pounds with witten proof that

This answer was rated:

I lent a friend for thousand pounds with witten proof that it be paid back in twelve months. Three years on and it had not been paid so I was given a box of jewellery to cover this loan. My friend died two weeks ago and I have just had a letter from a Solicitor asking would I kindly get in touch with the amount owed and return any assets I hold. I do not know what to do as this friend died owing considerable money everywhere which I did not know. I have no idea the value of the jewellery its looks to me as not having any worth .. The daughter knows I have this box but I have no idea what could have been taken out before it was handed to me x any help I would appreciate thank you
What would you like ? To keep the box or give it back and ask for your loan to be paid back?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Just want to do the right thing but the liquidators were already dealing with well over twenty thousand pounds of debt and there is no money available
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
UKSolicitorJA only
Just to do the right thing and I would like to get some if not all of my money back
If there is no money available to pay you, then you should write back to the solicitors and inform them that you were given the box in settlement of your loan by the deceased and that you are under no obligation to return it to the estate.
Hope this helps
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you