How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71057
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My daughters estranged husband of several years is now having

Customer Question

My daughters estranged husband of several years is now having to pay maintenance for his three children having not paid one penny towards their upkeep previously. his revenge for having to pay is to put vile and untrue things on facebook for all and sundry to see and has demanded that his daughter should go to his home because he says he has things to say about her mother (my daughter). My question is can he say vile and untrue things on a social media platform with impunity?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
What type of untruths?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Has said she uses crack cocaine, that her partner who died of cancer gave her some form of disease which he is not low enough to mention. That he will be left with nothing because he has to pay towards his children's upkeep and as promised that there will be much more he will be saying and if anyone has a problem then delete him from their facebook.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
He is entitled to complain about the cost of child maintenance I'm afraid. That is not necessarily untrue and he can say what he likes if it is true.
The other comments, presuming they are untrue, do potentially amount to a defamation. Defamation isn't really an accessible action to most people though. It costs in excess of £10k to bring a defamation claim and there is no legal aid. It isn't suitable for no win no fee.
To be wholly honest it wouldn't be sufficient for malicious communication and anyway there is a move away from prosecuting people for posts on social media.
If he isn't contacting her directly then it isn't a harassment.
You could complain to Facebook. They would probably suggest blocking him though.
Sorry if that is bad news.
Can I clarify anything for you?