How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71057
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

i was caught by a speed camera doing 67mph on a 30mph zone.

This answer was rated:

i was caught by a speed camera doing 67mph on a 30mph zone. I have received a notice of intended prosecution. I would like to know what the maximum punishment is? I have heard the maximum will probably be: 6 points, a fine of 1000GBP and a driving ban of up to 56 days. Is this true ? My main question is, can I face imprisonment for this speeding offence?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Is there any reason you think you may?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i have no previous convictions for anything (motoring nor others) and the worst i have had is parking fines when it comes to driving. i was wondering if they will charge me with dangerous driving because the speed was 67 on a 30mph road and if that can then lead to imprisonment?

They could do that but they probably won't. Dangerous driving charges are rare for high speed alone unless there is some allegation of dangerous manouevre as well.
Even if they do you would not get custody for that. You can get custody for dangerous driving but it is fair to say that people generally don't. Causing death by dangerous driving is a different matter altogether.
I would expect a speeding charge but I'm afraid they will ban you. Points would be an incredibly good result.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes what do you think the maximum ban would be? 56 days? or years?

They probably will give you more than 56 days I'm afraid.
I once had a client banned for four months but he was doing 133 in a 70 mph zone and he had undertaken somebody.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can you tell me what the maximum term is they can ban me for?

Up to six months in principle.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. I have read the NIP and it says the alledged offence is 'speeding'. They don't mention 'dangerous driving' on the NIP.

However, can they still charge me with dangerous driving as well in hindsight? or can they only charge me with the speeding offence that is mentioned on the nip? I can pay for an extra question if this is classified as a separate question.

Yes, they could do that in principle. They don't need a NIP to pursue you for dangerous driving whereas they do for speeding.
I don't think they would though.
There is no need to pay again but please remember to leave feedback for my answer.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you