How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12066
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I have 50% share in a small business. I would like to sell

This answer was rated:

I have 50% share in a small business. I would like to sell most of my share to my partner, to give her, say, a 95% share. She is a agreement to this, and we could readily agree on a realistic price for the transfer. The business is worth considerably less than what is showing on my capital account, and I am partly doing this to create a capital loss, which I can offset against a capital gain I made elsewhere this year. What would be involved in this procedure and is it likely that HMRC would have any objections?
Thank you for your question.
It is usual on the retiral of a partner from a business to have the business revalued so as to ensure that the capital accounts are accurate as at the date of retirement.
You need to have the business revalued and ask the accountant to prepare cessation accounts as at the date of your retiral.
Happy to discuss further.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you