How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35065
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My son and his partner and 2 children have been living in a

This answer was rated:

My son and his partner and 2 children have been living in a shared ownership property owned by me. She now wants him to leave and says she is going to look for somewhere else. The Tenancy Agreement is in her name.
My son is in the process of buying the property with funds he released by selling a house he bought many years before they got together.
He has also recently given her £40k to refurbish the house, which has been done.
If he continues to buy the property while she is still living there, will she be entitled to claim a share in it?
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
Since they are not married she would have no financial interest in the property - but if your son is the owner she can ask the court for the right to remain in the property until the youngest child is 18.
On that basis it could be a good idea to delay the process until she is well settled elsewhere
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you