How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71129
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Could you give me some idea of how long it might take

This answer was rated:

Could you give me some idea of how long it might take for a case (which has been described a complex case, and involves a death) might take to go to trial, after a plea hearing at crown court (if non guilty plea)? I do there will be factors like legal availability, witness availability, court space, etc, but do you have any guidelines?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is death by dangerous driving. Plea at Crown this month. Wondered what normal timescales thereafter are ...

It does depend upon court listings. If I can presume that the defendant is pleading not guilty then he will appear for either a preliminary or a plea and case management hearing usually about three weeks after the appearance of the magistrates court.
From there it will depend upon availability of courts. I practice in London and usually trials now being set for around the warned list of the summer. Some trials are easier to fix than others. You do seem to be describing a case that might be suitable for a fixture rather than warned list. Fixtures are harder to find generally but if it is a short case then they may well fit it in for the summer.
If it is a long complicated case then realistically you may be looking at the winter.
Outside London in quieter areas court waiting times are better generally.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you