How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71031
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I think I have committed a family member fraud and feel I can't

Customer Question

I think I have committed a family member fraud and feel I can't go on no more. What can I do?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi thanks for getting in touch.

I've been using my dads credit card to try and support us with Bill's and other things but it's just got out of hand sorry.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I want to be honest about this so what should I do? What sentence will I get?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
How much have you spent?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

About £8000 does it make a difference?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Will he report it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No but I feel like I want to

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Reporting it yourself would be a disastrous idea. There is no sense in confessing to the police. You can tell him if you want to. But probably he would rather you paid back the sum in question than reported it to the police.
If you are intent then they would probably prosecute you. He will have to make a statement against you obviously but if he does then you would be charged.
This is a high value fraud in domestic circumstances. The court would consider custody. You would probably avoid it but you would be at risk.
Probably they would prefer a community order like unpaid work or curfew. They would make a compensation order in the sums taken.
Can I clarify anything for you?